Sunday, May 20, 2012

may 16th extract-the everly brothers


The Everly Brothers-Lightning Express-Songs Our Daddy Taught Us

The saddest record ever made. The grimmest record ever made. This album takes on the darkest, deepest records made by Sunn 0))),Swans or whoever is dealing with despair and makes them pale in comparison.  Anyone else is just playing for effect. “Songs Our Daddy Taught Us” is so hardcore that it defies belief. As an indication here is the track listing;

1. Roving Gambler
2. Down In The Willow Garden
3. Long Time Gone
4. Lightning Express
5. That Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine
6. Who’s Going To Shoe Your Pretty Little Feet
7.Barbara Allen
8.Oh So Many Years
9. I’m Here To Get My Baby Out Of Jail
10.Rockin’Alone (In An Old Rockin’Chair)
11.Kentucky
12. Put My Little Shoes Away
(Maybe this doesn’t give too much of a clue away. Yet.)

I’d heard about this record for a long time before I eventually got hold of it. To me The Everly Brothers were purveyors of schmaltzy harmonising; good tunes and all the rest but didn’t have that edge that their contemporaries such as Gene Vincent or Eddie Cochran possessed. I suppose that the only songs I’d really heard by them were the big hits ,”Cathy’s Clown”, “All I Have To Do Is Dream”, “Bye Bye Love”  etc but that’s not unusual.  I wouldn’t have necessarily gone digging around for much more. As with more than a fair few of the artists or records that I’ve belatedly discovered I can put it down to hearing John Peel sing their praises. It must have been a radio interview when he was asked which records affected him the most on an emotional level, that as well as mentioning his well-known favourite-The Undertones, “Teenage Kicks”- he referred to this album by The Everly Brothers as well. (I also discovered Shep & The Limelites, “Daddy’s Home” through this same route. Another great tearjerker.) As I recall, Peel said something about not being able to play the Everly Brothers album without ending up in floods of tears. That was it for me-I just knew that I’d have to get hold of it.

I was staggered when I first heard it. Every song is unremittingly dark and despairing. Far beyond the normal cliché of country songs, the narrative of each track is that don’t expect things to get any better because they will only get worse. When matters are at a low point, don’t anticipate that there’s an upturn around the corner; it’s only going to spiral in one direction-downwards. There are songs of death, betrayal, loss and destruction. Heartbreak and immense regret. Sadness and of pitiful history repeating itself over and over again, for generation after generation. The songs that I used to sing to my children (badly, I must add, and not with vocal dexterity of Phil and Don) comprised of such happy ditties as “The Wheels on The Bus” and “Two little Fishes Swam Over The Dam”. It is no wonder that Phil and Don had such a fractious relationship if their Daddy sat them down to learn such tunes as “The Lightning Express”. This is a tale that’ll have anyone with a soul blubbling within thirty seconds. (I’m not allowed to play it within earshot of Amy as it’s “too sad”). It’s the story of a little boy who’s about to be thrown off a train as he can’t pay the fare, but he pleads with the stern yet kindly conductor to be allowed to stay for the journey. The child has to reach his mother that night as she is dying and may not last much longer. He begs the conductor to ride the train as “the best friend I have the world is waiting for me in pain…expecting to die any moment…and may not live through the day…I want to reach home and kiss mother goodbye before God takes her away…” . There’s a whip-round on the train by the other passengers so his fare can be paid but you never get to know what happens next except that the little boy’s words keep echoing through the conductor’s head. This is the general tone of the rest of the album. Although it’s such a good record it certainly isn’t one to be listening to if you feel a bit down in the dumps. 

(I don't usually post clips of the tracks but this is so exceptional...)


      

No comments:

Post a Comment