Sunday, August 11, 2013

Totally Shuffled August 11th extract-Los Campesinos!




(An extract from "Totally Shuffled-A Year of Listening to Music on a Broken iPod". One track out of 366 that I randomly shuffled through in 2012. There's another 365 in the book. A a matter of pure coincidence this is the very track that I wrote about exactly a year ago today ).

  

August 11th

Los Campesinos!-We Are Beautiful,We Are Doomed-We Are Beautiful,We Are Doomed      

                  
         
Is there ever a point when I’ll stop listening to new music and merely revert back to old favourites? Is there a time when I become too old for anything different and settle for what I know works for me? Will The Fall become the aural equivalent of a pair of comfy slippers and elasticated waisted slacks? I suppose that there may be a time when something new and different happens in music and it will go right over my head. It may mean nothing to me and will just sound like a tuneless racket. (Having said that, tuneless rackets have always appealed to me, so maybe that’s not too bad a thing). 

Maybe I have to start questioning that at being over 50 years old, there is a point when a lifetime of listening to pop music is a bit daft. On the other hand, the alternative is too horrible to actually contemplate. I cannot imagine just looking back with rose-tinted glasses to a mythical musical past when all was perfect and never coming across anything different and new. I have a feeling that even in my dotage, I’ll be persuading my grandchildren that the latest Japanese thrash racket is the way to go. There’s that much music to hear that even after forty years or so, I know that I’ve barely scratched the surface. It wouldn’t be an easy option to wean myself off the pursuit of the new, but in some ways it would give me a chance to catch up. After all, I’ve got at about eighty Miles Davis albums to play at least once and over a hundred Frank Zappa albums that have only have been given the most cursory of airings and time is ticking I guess. I don’t think it’s really going to happen though. I’ll still be looking at the music press in whatever form it’s in, and still be avoiding Radio 1 and 2 like the plague years from now.

If I’d stopped at a sensible age then I would have missed out on Los Capmesinos! and that would have not been a good thing. Initially Los Campesinos! were well and truly slagged off in the music press for being too “twee-core”, and it took the album that this title track is from to kind of turn it around. If a band does get battered in the fashionable press then I always feel that there is something worth looking into. I don’t think that the twee core thing helped, but it was more because that they were from Wales rather than London, that stood against them and that they were erudite and intelligent rather than lumpen and provincial. I have liked all the albums they’ve released and really do think that if they’d originated from some fashionable area of the U.S. then they’d be bigger than they are now. But there’s always time and I predict great things for them. 
(One other thing. There is that cliché about all policemen seeming younger as you get older. Well, although that applies with me, the telling fact is that bands get younger as I get older. I have already reached a stage when they are half my age. In ten years time I may be into bands that are a third of my age and I would be easily old enough to be their grandfather. Blimey).    

Get/read/see "Totally Shuffled" here:




No comments:

Post a Comment