Saturday, October 12, 2013

How I never got to see "Aguirre"



extracted from "Totally Shuffled-A Year of Listening to Music on a broken iPod" 

Popol Vuh- Aguirre II-Aguirre OST

I have watched Werner Herzog’s film, “Aguirre, Wrath of God” twice and listened to the soundtrack a lot more. I suppose that‘s not strictly true; I went to the cinema to see Aguirre back sometime in the mid 1980’s and subsequently watched it on television once.

On the strength of that, it may be thought that I have viewed the film twice, but my first experience of what was recognised as a masterpiece never actually got off the ground. And it was all my fault. I did go to the cinema one evening to watch it with the best of intentions. I was looking forward to seeing it, having read a lot of glowing reviews and fully prepared for a mind-blowing performance. It was being shown at an art cinema where I probably went at least once a week, so the idea of a foreign language film didn’t put me off. 

This was before the rise of the multiplexes in the U.K. and therefore the only choice cinema-wise was either to go to your local run down Odeon (usually outdated, falling to pieces, shabby and expensive and comprising at most of three screens. The biggest one was always one that was a throwback from the 50’s and had enough seating to be able to comprise of stalls and circles. They never sold out and the whole experience was dreadful, from the sound quality, to scratched films, dreadful local adverts promoting awful restaurants “just around the corner”, seating that hadn’t been clean or changed in twenty years or so and litter all over the floor. If there were any other screens in the cinema, then these generally had been made by slicing off the side of the main theatre with bits of plasterboard and making separate entrances. These other, smaller screens tended only to show either kids films or really, truly terrible British “comedies”. The main theatre was reserved for whatever blockbuster was doing the rounds. There was no choice at all-up and down the country the same films would be playing in identical shit-holes week in and week out. As there wasn’t at that time multi-channels on the TV or the ready availability of videos, then the only choice, if you were at all interested in film, which was in any way out of the mainstream, was to find a film society or the like in your local town that showed something different.

I was blessed by the fact that based in the centre of Liverpool was Merseyside Film Society. This was a brilliant oasis of cinematic culture, situated within a local art gallery, which screened different films twice a night and most days of the week. They’d screen a whole mix of films-from 1940’s classics to more recent art films; from foreign language films to Hollywood classics. Some of the best films I have seen are ones that I saw there; Casablanca, Last Tango in Paris, Sans Soleil, all of Truffaut’s Doinel’s series, a shed- load of Goddard, Taxi Driver, Singing in the Rain and so on. It wasn’t the best cinema itself; the seats were worn and had come from a disused cinema chain. The sound comprised of one big speaker at the base of the screen. I think that it seated about 100 or so in the audience and it was always cold-being situated in a basement. But it was cheap-tickets were at least half the price you’d pay for at the Odeon-and they showed great films.  Being a member of the Society as well allowed you to know what was coming up in advance-they’d send a programme out quarterly so you could plan ahead. But, like all good things, it came to an end. The Bluecoat was “developed”, multiplexes swarmed the land, and although an independent cinema did open in Liverpool, it was skewed towards national art releases and not “old” films that aren’t just the same when you see them on television).

Back to the story of Aguirre though. I had my ticket for the 8.15 showing-they always showed films at 6.00 pm or 8.15 pm. It was winter and I was full of cold. I’d been awake most of the previous night, coughing and sneezing. My eyes were streaming and my throat felt as if I’d been gargling for hours with broken glass. I’d been in work all day and was knackered. The lights went down, I settled in my seat, the opening credits rolled and fell fast asleep.

I woke up two hours later, to the sound of seats lifting and people trying to squeeze past me, as the end credits rolled. I’d missed the whole of the mad Herzog experience and one that I didn’t recapture until years later when it came up on Channel 4 one evening. Now I’m waiting for it to be shown again so I can save it in the TiVo. Maybe I should just try to get it on DVD.     



No comments:

Post a Comment