Thursday, January 23, 2014

Totally Shuffled extract-Television "See No Evil"

extracted from "Totally Shuffled-A Year of Listening to Music on a Broken iPod"



May 6th
Television-See No Evil-Marquee Moon

I should have got Television back in 1978, rather than two or three years ago. I always wrote them off as hippy/jazz remnants playing tricksy songs in difficult time signatures just because they wanted to prove a point. This was not the done thing in the white hot period of punk when less was more. Three chords were more than sufficient to string a tune together and brevity was everything. Being puritanical at the time, it was considered that any track that lasted over 2 min 30 sec was dangerously straying close to prog rock territory.  (I remember when Wire recorded a 15 minute song “Crazy About Love”, for a Peel session track in 1983. Even though this was at least 5 years after punk, Wire, being considered still by some to be a “punk” band, were castigated as total sell-outs and traitors to the “cause”). In our youthful naivety, we thought that all the punk bands were blazing a fresh trail with a scorched-earth policy to everything, including musicianship. That’s what we were all led to believe by the music press and the record companies anyway. We all fell for it, hook, line and sinker. What we do know now that virtually all the punk bands were old hippies themselves and had all played in awful pub-rock bands for years.

“Marquee Moon” (the single), seemed to go on forever and a day-and even now it’s got an endless quality that, even though I’m well-used to 25 minute tracks from Godspeed You! Black Emperor and their ilk, listening to it makes me wish Television would just get on with it and bring the whole shebang to a close. Just when you think it’s over, up it starts again for another 10 minutes (or so it can seem). I actually do now like the track although I definitely think that you have to be in the right mood for it. One of my friends had the single as a coloured vinyl 12” single, and the simple fact that a) it wasn’t a 7” single and b) my friend still wore flares on occasion, led me to write Television off as a bunch of hippy New York chancers for a very long time. “Marquee Moon” kept cropping up on various compilations of both punk and post-punk stuff. I couldn’t get away from it. It was even on the first Rough Trade CD box compilation, “Twenty Five Years of Rough Trade Shops”, and most of the time I skipped though it.

Although the single kept cropping up on collections, I also kept reading how groundbreaking the album was in “best of” lists in music magazines-i.e. best punk albums, best post-punk albums, best guitar albums, best New York albums etc. I would not have been surprised if it had shown up in Gramophone’s “best orchestral record of the century” list or “best use of Tuba” in Brass Instruments Weekly. There must have been something about it to gain such accolades. So, after over a quarter of a century, I laid down my prejudices, braced myself and got hold of the album. And it’s actually rather good. All the praise heaped on it is totally justified.

“Marquee Moon” though. Blimey, it’s still a bit of a trudge.      


Get/see/read "Totally Shuffled" here


 And now as paperback! 





No comments:

Post a Comment