Tuesday, January 15, 2013

august 3rd extract-the gang of four



Gang Of Four- At Home He’s A Tourist

I’ve only ever owned one Gang of Four record, their first E.P. on Fast Records that had the tracks “Damaged Goods”, “Love Like Anthrax” and “Armalite Rifle”. I toyed for a long time with the idea of buying their first album. On more than one occasion I got as far as taking it from the racks in the record shop and walking up to the till but every time I thought better of it. On one occasion, when I had a spare tenner in my pocket, I had “Entertainment!” (the said Gang of Four album)in one hand and Madonna’s “True Blue” in the other as I approached the counter. What a dilemma and what a cultural divide. Needless to say- because I’ve just mentioned that I’ve only ever had the one Gang of Four record- that La Ciccone won out over the battle of the albums with the agit-poppers. One of my better decisions in retrospect.       

All throughout this year-more than once anyway-I think that I may have mentioned that my listening habits during the 1980’s comprised largely in part of the likes of The Fall, Scritti Politti and the Gang of Four. Actually, I should have said that it was bands like the Gang of Four as I only had heard the three tracks of the E.P. and a handful of others recorded off the radio and “At Home He’s A Tourist” was one of them. (I’ve only being using the Gang of Four throughout this year as a sort of metaphor for the type of post-punk music I was listening to).

Why had I struggled so much with buying the Gang of Four album? Why did Madonna win out in the end? It was quite simple really. The Gang of Four were known for their decidedly political stance, a highly developed and well-thought out post-structuralist Marxist critique of capitalist consumerism blah blah blah. They weren’t afraid of sticking it to “the man” and questioning all and every structure of power and authority. They positively relished challenging accepted social constructs and were an all male band well noted for their strident feminist stance. Now all of what they stood up for I agreed with and I still strongly believe in but you can see where this is heading.

They (and this isn’t intended as a pun) pulled out of appearing on TOTP with the “At Home..” single because the BBC didn’t want them to sing the word “rubbers” i.e condoms, as on the released version of the song. They weren’t prepared to compromise their art in the face of the pressure exerted by them  for a programme that was broadcast on BBC1 at 7.30  p.m.on a Thursday night-Noel Edmonds, bad jumpers and the axis of evil. This was all very understandable and commendable in a Crass-stick-to-your-principles sort of way. 

Which is why it all was just a little bit surprising that considering when they signed for a major label straight after their first and only indie release they plumped for EMI.  EMI, well known for their high ethical stance on everything under the sun, seemed the perfect fit for these chaps from Leeds. Without knowing too much about EMI, it was well known at the time that they were in part heavily into the manufacture of armaments and missle guided systems. It made the release of the anti-militaristic single by the boys, “I Love a Man In a Uniform” a tad ironic.

However good the music may have been within the “Entertainment!” album, at least I always knew where I stood with Madonna.     

No comments:

Post a Comment