Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Totally Shuffled -Day 39/366 Sparklehorse

Totally Shuffled -Day 39/366 Sparklehorse-Hundreds of Sparrows
"you are worth hundreds of sparrows.."
 a magical & beautiful song...
 
  Get "Totally Shuffled" here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Totally-Shuffled-Listening-Broken-ebook/dp/B00CJYZ3CA 
  
and this is the extract from "Totally Shuffled" about Sparklehorse -there are another 365 artists/tracks in the whole massive tome-592 pages and 240,000+ words!!!
February 8th
Sparklehorse-Hundreds Of Sparrows-Studio Stockholm 21.9.98 Live Recording

Most of the music that I have learned to love over the years have been introduced to me by the usual, expected routes-press, friends, radio (i.e. John Peel) etc. There have been though, two groups who I discovered and got into by a surprising entry point. They are The White Stripes and Sparklehorse and I first heard (of) them on Radio 4’s news programmes, Today and PM.

It’s been a long, long time since I last listened to Radio 1, 2 or any commercial station. At least 25 years. Radio 4, and to some lesser extent, Radio 3, is my preferred listening these days. I had largely given up on Radio 1 much earlier than 25 years ago in any event, and only listened to it for John Peel. Since the death of Peel I cannot recall putting Radio 1 on except by accident in the car and then I would have reached instinctively for the Radio 4 button. Radio 4 is probably one of the only things that could possibly make me proud to be British. I am not nationalistic or patriotic in any way at all and would (even in these straightened times), class myself as European rather than British. I wish that Britain had joined the Euro and that we were part of a United States of Europe rather than the United Kingdom. However, classing myself as European, I would still be proud of the BBC and Radio 4 and it would still be my station of choice. Even if I lived in some remote corner of Europe, I would still try to find a way to catch up with The Archers at 2.00 p.m. every day. My day anyway is bookended by Radio 4, Today (John Humphreys, Jim Naughtie et al) each morning at 6.30 and whatever is on late at night. At home if I am not listening to music, then it’s Radio 4 on the airwaves. I some ways I could cope quite easily without television, but not music and not radio. I will listen to even the most arcane stuff on Radio 4-including Gardeners Question Time, which is odd, as we don’t have a garden at all.
Anyway, back to music, and specifically The White Stripes and Sparklehorse. The White Stripes (and I am sure there’ll be more about them along the way), cropped up on a news item at 8.40 a.m. one morning on the Today Programme. (Let’s bear in mind that Today and PM, its evening counterpart, are heavy news and current affair broadcasts, not usually concerned with what is at the cutting edge of music). Sparklehorse-the subject for today-came unbidden to me one evening on the PM programme. It must have been a slow news day, but I am grateful for that. I can remember that it was about the time of the second Sparklehorse album, “Good Morning Spider” and dealt with, in part the near death, hospitalisation and recovery in the U.K. of the main (and really only permanent member of Sparklehorse), Mark Linkous. The item played a few snippets of the music and referenced the use of unusual instruments on the album-kids guitars and toys, tape recorders and out of tune radios. It sounded intriguing and off I popped to get the album.

(more in the book..!)      
       

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment