Saturday, June 8, 2013

"Turn Left At The Womble" -the follow up!





Turn Left At the Womble -the follow-up!



I didn’t really think that after writing, editing and publishing “Turn Left at the Womble”, the tale of how I went to Glastonbury for the first time in 2010 at the ripe old age of 48, that I’d be seriously considering writing more about it.  But here I am now, looking back (slightly) at 2011 and looking forward ( 3 weeks hence) at 2013 and, having mulled the idea round for a bit, thinking that it might not be a “bad thing.”

What’s brought me to this point? I don’t want to simply re-visit what happened in 2010 and end up re-hashing things, but so many people have asked me if I went back in 2011 and what happened next that it seems a shame not to carry on where I left off. Things were hanging in the air a bit at the end of Glasto 2010 and there is, like everything in life, always another chapter (or another book).

What has touched me immensely is the genuine interest and almost universal positive feedback to “Turn Left At the Womble”. It was only ever really intended to be a diary of sorts, a bit of a memory, a snapshot of what was five or so of the best days of my life. It’s always tempting and easy to look back at things with rose-tinted glasses and fall into hyperbole, but Glastonbury 2010 changed ne in so many ways. I didn’t give up coffee or smoking, but I did actually get my finger out and start writing and haven’t stopped since. It also, and without being too cringe-worthy,created a sort of permanent joined-up-link between me and my daughter, Amy, who came along with me in 2010.It’s not as if we needed to create a bond or anything, but I know that we’ll always be able to look back and say “remember Glasto?” and we’ll know just what a great time was had.

“…Womble” was just meant to be some notes to use, to recall what actually happened, but it grew into more than that somehow. It was never intended to be overly literary or to put a spin on things. I wasn’t going to write second- hand about things I hadn’t done. I just wanted it to be completely matter-of-fact.  I wasn’t going to paint it out as if I’d spent the whole weekend raving away and not getting any sleep. I knew that there were loads of places that I hadn’t been to at Glasto or hadn’t seen, but I knew instinctively that I’d be going back again and again, and that there’s always be next year. I could only write about it from my limited and somewhat naïve perspective, and if it made people interested and possibly smile, then that was an added bonus. If it convinced just one middle-aged, balding, slightly overweight person (either male or female!) to dip their toes into the magic that is Glastonbury, then it was worth it. So it was because of the response to it that I’m going to write more about what transpired in 2011 and see what happens this year.

I should mention at this juncture that I know it won’t be and can’t be a re-hash of  “…Womble”.Years ago I would have said that because I’d been before I knew what it was all about. In 2011, you'd think I know what I was doing, but as you get older, you certainly don’t get any wiser at all. The only thing that you realise is that you realise less and less. I’d guess that every year at Glastonbury is different anyway, but in 2011 it certainly was for me. And it wasn’t just because the weather was different or that I’d been before and therefore it wasn’t wholly an unique experience. It was so different in virtually every way that it was like a different place. Except that it wasn’t-it was Glastonbury.

Finally, I’d just like to thank everyone who has read and enjoyed and got back to me about “…Womble”. Without that I don’t think I wouldn’t have carried on writing.

More to come….(including a title!)

You can still get “Turn Left at Womble” here of course:     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment