Saturday, July 6, 2013

Totally Shuffled Day 64/366 Coldplay

Totally Shuffled Day 64/366 Coldplay-Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground
 Coldplay extract from "Totally Shuffled" here  
Coldplay-Now My Feet Won’t Touch The Ground-Prospekt’s March

Somewhat inevitably there would come a time during the year when I would shuffle upon one of the few bands or artists who mean a lot to me personally. I suppose it is obvious that I actually like most of the music on the iPod-there’d be no point in putting music on that I don’t enjoy, or have at sometime in the past liked. Some of the artists and some of the music I have come to gradually appreciate less and less as the years advance; to the point when I wonder if I really liked it in first place, or question why I liked it at all. Not many though. Most of the stuff on here, even music I haven’t listened to for a good few years, I still really like. Sometimes I’ll come across a track that’s on here which I’ve never heard before, and by-and-large there’s usually something there in it that makes it worth a listen.

 There is though, a small yet distinct, category of artists that stand apart and above. These are artists who not only have produced great music over the years, but have something about them as well, some indefinable characteristic. It may additionally be that I’ve collected so much of their work or that I’ve been into them for so long, I couldn’t imagine not hearing them again. Even when they produce something that is below their usual standards, it’s still head and shoulders above 99.9% of anything else. It’ll always be interesting and different, and they’ll always come up with something unexpected. For these artists I’ve decided to stretch my initial rules a bit and allow myself more than 500 words if and when they shuffle up. Just so I set the amended rules at this stage, relatively early on in the year, and with no room for adding any more, the 500+’ll be Bob Dylan, The Fall, Prefab Sprout, The Flaming Lips, Blind Willie Tell, Muslimgauze and Bruce Springsteen. That’s presuming they come up on shuffle of course. And the reason for this preamble-isn’t it clear? Coldplay are the final ones in this special grouping.   

 As my friends and family can testify, the relationship between Coldplay and myself is somewhat chequered. Unlike The Fall for example, who as soon as I heard them for the first time I knew that there was something special there, or Prefab Sprout, when I was convinced of their greatness at an early stage by my musical guru, Andy, there was nothing about Coldplay for me for a very long time. I’d seen the video for “Yellow”, as had probably half the population, and written them off-totally unfairly-as some sub-Oasis chancers. The only contact I had for a long time with anything to do with Coldplay was glancing upon reviews of their albums in say, Mojo, where at best they were damned with faint praise. John Peel never played any Coldplay and as my listening tastes with regard to radio had shifted to Radio 4, ”A Rush of Blood to the Head”, and “X & Y” passed me by completely. Even more than that though, I’d picked up on the general air of sneering within the rest of the music press and reviews in broadsheets of Coldplay being boring, Radio 2 Phil Collins-y  and pompous. This was only exacerbated by Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow’s (admittedly) annoyed habit of giving their kids daft names and being constantly paparazzi snapped in the tabloids. I must admit that I fell 100 per cent into this easy mis-perception of Coldplay to the extent of every time they were mentioned I fake-stifled a yawn and used to tell Thomas that it was physiologically impossible to say the Coldplay without dropping into narcolepsy before pronouncing the second syllable in their name i.e. Cold…zzzz.             

This state of affairs carried on until 2008 (i.e. at least nine years). Me dismissing Coldplay out of hand and not bothering to give them a proper chance.  Like the planets falling into conjunction, three things happened that radically and permanently changed my prejudice against Coldplay. (I don’t believe in all that astrology bollocks but it seems an apt metaphor. I wouldn’t want anyone thinking that Russell Grant is some sort of role model). First thing was that an advert for “Viva La Vida” kept running on the TV, and I found myself thinking,”Well, this isn’t too bad…actually it’s quite good.” The second thing was a conversation I had with Andy, who had just seen them play at the MEN Arena in Manchester. Although I knew he liked Coldplay a lot, but the fact that he was so enthusiastic about the gig and for once, tried to convince me that they were much better than I thought they were and that I was being slightly myopic made me think I should reconsider my position. (Over the past 30 odd years I have known Andy we have had numerous, lengthy conversations about music. We have sort have reached a mutual unsaid agreement where very rarely either of us tries to convince the other that they have made a mistake about any artist. For example, I have never really tried to persuade Andy of the undoubted majesty of the Fall - but I have tried and failed with Bob Dylan. It was unusual therefore for him to be so adamant that I was wrong about Coldplay and it certainly gave me second thoughts). The final piece in the jigsaw happened one weeknight when the BBC rebroadcast a Coldplay show recorded outdoors at the BBC TV centre in front of about 300 people. I was idly flicking through the channels when it came on and for want of anything much better to do I sat down and watched it for 30 minutes. In that half hour I was converted-I went from sceptic to believer in an almost quasi-religious manner. “Oh Lord, I was blind and now I can see…” etc.

All that sounds a bit strong and too obsessive. It is maybe a question of degree. I had moved so far from where I had been a few weeks before that any statement of admiration for Coldplay made me look like the most rabid born-again Christian.

Now in itself, this change in my position was fairly radical, but not without precedent. I have flip-flopped more than a few times over the years in repect of my attitude to artists; Bob Dylan being a prime example, but I don’t think that I have ever changed so much as I did with Coldplay. In some ways it seems a shame that I missed out on them for so long, but even in my advanced years it has taught me a valuable lesson in that an old dog can actually be taught new tricks. Or at least that I shouldn’t dismiss things out of hand without giving them a proper chance.

The final, final two pieces of the jigsaw fell into place in December 2010 and June 2011 when I saw Coldplay live in two different gigs. And these two shows couldn’t have been more different from each other. They were really at the opposite ends of the spectrum, but each, in their own way wholly convinced me that a) Coldplay are a brilliant band  b) taking notice of what is considered to be hip or cutting edge is silly  c) who gives a fuck if Coldplay aren’t critically well-thought of? and d) they are just a brilliant band.

In December 2011 Coldplay announced at very short notice that they would be playing two very small gigs for Crisis (the charity for the homeless).It was only by chance that I found out about this because I had the day off work and kind of stumbled across the announcement by chance on the internet. Imagine my surprise (and delight) when I saw that the two shows would be in Newcastle and Liverpool. (Not that delighted about Newcastle, but Liverpool..!). I saw that the tickets would be going on sale that very day at 9.00 a.m and knew that if I wanted to go I’d have to act very quickly to avoid a Glastonbury/Seetickets booking debacle. Without going through the whole getting the phones/ browsers ready thing, for once I touched lucky and by 9.15 a.m I had successfully managed to get hold of two tickets -one for me and one for Thomas. 

Additionally, not only was this show going to be at a very small location, but the venue would only be announced the day before i.e. this is what led them to be known as a “secret” gig. There was feverish speculation for the couple of weeks beforehand as to where it would be held, but an e mail popped into my inbox as promised letting me know that it would be at the Royal Court. This was a “good sign” as this was where I’d seen U2 in one of the best gigs ever, as well as The Fall a couple of times and The Beat in one of the happiest shows I have been to. On the other hand, this was the venue that where I (and many others) walked out on Killing Joke in possible the worst gig known to man, so there was always an element of doubt. However, we were all set for something magical that December night.

And on December 19th 2010, off we totted into town for my first live Coldplay show and Thomas’ first ever gig. How he’d got to be 20 years old and never seen a live music show I don’t fully comprehend, but maybe music just isn’t that important anymore. When I say we trotted off into town, that’s a bit of an exaggeration. We didn’t trot as so much slip and slide. All this coincided with the second of two weeks of snow and ice. Pavements had not been gritted and I fully expected one of us to have broken an ankle as we negiotated the treacherous conditions around the Royal Court. But by gripping onto each other’s arms like a pair of 95 year olds trying to scale a glacier, we successfully shuffled the couple of hundred yards from the car park to the Royal Court, where we waited in the cold for half an hour or so before the doors opened. It was so cold that by the time the doors opened I had lost all feeling in my toes, but it didn’t really matter as we managed to get our way to the nearly the very front of the stage. Thankfully the Royal Court had taken the seats out for the show and we got a very good spec, right dead centre with only two or three people in front of us.  Normally I hate being crushed at the front and like to view gigs from a safe distance,where I can stretch out and ponder in the fashion of a true 50 year old. Or, in the case of Muse, easily get the fuck out of it as soon as possible. But this was Thomas’ first gig and I felt that I owed it to him to enjoy the whole gig-going experience.

Coldplay were everything and more than I could have expected. We were only a few feet away from the edge of the stage in a theatre with a capacity of just over 1000 and within the stalls (where we were), 300 or so. I could run down the whole set list and go through the show, song by song. I could write about the introduction of Coldplay by Peter Kay (the comedian), or the fact that Gary Barlow of Take That came on stage and played with them during the encores (oh, my hipster credentials are well and truly fucked now).  All I need to write about is the sheer joyousness of the whole thing and that within 30 seconds of Coldplay appearing on the stage, I totally forgot about the cold in my toes and fingers. Best of all however, was the look on Thomas’ face as Coldplay launched into “Glass of Water” and how much he let rip and sang every word at the top of his voice. What a way to experience your first ever gig.

Just over six months later from this, I experienced Coldplay in a much larger venue. Not so much as a venue, but an experience certainly. There was a slightly larger audience at Glastonbury for Coldplay than there was at the Royal Court and I didn’t manage to get as close to the stage either. And because I was working at Glastonbury that year, and Coldplay’s set unfortunately co-incided with one of my shifts then I only managed to catch a couple of songs. The only reason I actually got to see these two songs was because thankfully, a 30 minute break in my 8 hour shift happened whilst Coldplay were on the Pyramid. The only common factor between seeing them in the preceding December and then at Glastonbury, was that the conditions underfoot were lethal. In December in was the ice and at Glastonbury it was the mud. It had pissed down the night before when U2 were on and discretion won over valour for me on that occasion, so I just took my break at the back of the bar and missed what was generally seen as a disappointing set for U2. (I watched the recording of it when I got home and I think that I made the right decision.) There must have been some divine intervention the next night however, as the rain had stopped during the day, just leaving thick mud everywhere. But the rain had stopped, conditions were getting better and it was all set up for Coldplay. So a little bit of mud wasn’t going to stop me, and as soon as my break started I ran round from the bar to the Pyramid. Well, it’s a bit difficult to run in wellies, so I kind of squelched my way and managed to see them play “Lost!” and “The Scientist”. Even though I was at Glastonbury by myself that year, just hearing those two songs,seeing them play and singing along with thousands of other people,well, it didn’t make me feel as if I was alone at all.

That’s what’s so good about Coldplay.    

Get Totally Shuffled here             
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Totally-Shuffled-Listening-Broken-ebook/dp/B00CJYZ3CA                            
  

No comments:

Post a Comment