Friday, July 5, 2013

Womble 2-working extract number 2

The second extract from "Womble 2 " - rough draft caveats apply etc

How I (didn't) get tickets for Glastonbury 2011


Having picked Sam to act as my proxy, I had to explain to her exactly what was required in order to get Glasto tickets on the day they were released. This was difficult to do without edging into hysteria. I didn’t want to appear too pushy or to put too much pressure on her; but, on the other hand, I had to stress that it wouldn’t be just a case of picking up a phone or logging on at some arbitrary point some time on the Sunday morning in question. It was a case of getting the balance right. I also had to tactfully suggest that it would be good if she was ready to roll on the dot of 9.00 a.m. i.e. fully awake and not hung over from Saturday night! I knew that I was asking a lot (and expecting a bit of a miracle anyway), but I was sure that if anyone could come up with the goods in my absence, then Sam was the one. So with every confidence in her and having reassured her that if it didn’t work out, then I know she would have tried her hardest, I armed her with all the practical details. I planned this like a quasi-military campaign. I had typed a sheet of instructions-phone numbers, URLs, registration numbers etc. Tips about opening as many browsers as possible on as many devices as were available and hitting redial on the phones over and over again. I think that I even laminated the typed sheet that I gave to her. Everything was in place. It was simply a question of waiting until that fateful Sunday and hoping that she would strike gold. There was nothing more that I could do. I went off on our holiday to Florida, knowing that when we came back Sam would have been in touch to tell us that Operation Gettickets had been a resounding success and that it was all down a combination of my meticulous planning, her sterling efforts and the gods looking down kindly on me. I just knew that on that long flight back across the Atlantic, I would be whiling away the hours by planning in my head what I would be doing that following June in Somerset.

So that Sunday was exactly half way through our Florida trip. I’d been sort of putting it all to the back of my mind during the first week, trying not to tempt fate and just getting into the holiday mode. It had been a great holiday so far but on the Saturday night, I did go to sleep thinking what the next day would bring. We were planning to go on a bit of journey on the Sunday, so it was an early night for all. I drifted off with visions of pitching our tent in the sun.

Bearing in mind the time difference between the U.K. and the U.S., (5 hours behind the U.K), I knew that when we got up, then good news would be in the offing. Not being very good with mobiles/texting in any way, shape or form, I was reliant upon Sam texting Jackie with the update. At 6.00 a.m. U.S. time Jackie got a text that Sam had sent at 9.30 a.m U.K. to say that she was on and trying but with no success so far. No worries-there was still time. I got up, made a coffee and paced up and down with a ciggie, like an expectant father. Next text- Sam had still had no luck but was still trying. She kept updating us and I knew that the next text would be “Yes!”. But at 7.15 a.m. a text arrived- “Oh I’m so very sorry, no luck, it’s all sold out”. When Jackie told me this I honestly thought she was joking in that sort of “I didn’t get the job/pass the exam” crestfallen-face but “No, I did actually!” way. She wasn’t joking at all-it’s not the kind of thing you joke about. And whilst I was eternally grateful for Sam and knew that she had given it her all-that was it -no Glasto in 2011.             

 And yet..

You can still get "Turn Left at the Womble" here-the story of how I went to Glastonbury in 2010 for the very first time  



            

No comments:

Post a Comment