Sunday, February 16, 2014

Left Again at the Womble-an extract

Extracted from "Left Again at the Womble-The adventures of a middle-aged Dad working at the Glastonbury Festival"

This extract is all about waking up on the Friday morning and discovering it was raining...



However much you may read about Tuesday being the new Wednesday or whatever such nonsense about Glastonbury, and irrespective of the fact that I’d been there since Tuesday and spent seven hours working, I still felt somehow that it wouldn’t really start properly until the Friday. I still feel that way and I’m not sure why. It may be because not all the stages kick off until the Friday or that it’s only broadcast on the BBC from the Friday-or just because it’s the weekend. It’s totally irrational because most of the people are there from at least the Thursday and just because a few bands jump up on a stage and start thrashing some instruments shouldn’t mean it’s the signal that it’s all started. But that’s how it feels to me, in some sort of gut-feeling way.

So, as I slowly woke up on the Friday morning, I was excited in that Christmas-Day-is-finally-here sort of way. This was going to be the day when it all kicked in. I was looking forward to a repeat of the previous years’ Friday; blue skies, hot weather, brilliant music, magical times. Granted, Amy wasn’t with me and somewhere within the next 24 hours I had to slot in an eight hour shift, but nevertheless, good times were on the way.

I stretched an arm out of the sleeping bag and gently felt the side of the tent with my palm. It was wet, but I expected that; it was just the condensation. It was light outside; I looked at my watch. Twenty past six. The light outside would be the sun just starting to peek through the early summer mist. In that half-asleep/half-awake state I heard a faint patter of condensation running off the outside of the tent. I would have to find where exactly in my rucksack I had put my battered sandals. The wellies would be useless today; but on the other hand if I was going to be on my feet for a significant part of the day, then maybe I should break out the old Converse.   

As I came round, it slowly dawned on me (quite a relevant metaphor) that the sound I was hearing wasn’t the condensation seeping away from the sides of the tent but  something else altogether. Rain. As my head cleared and I became more awake than asleep, I didn’t immediately leap into action. I must have laid still in my sleeping bag, listening to this gentle patter for at least ten minutes or so. In a strange way it was quite soothing and a bit like the most ambient music you could imagine. Maybe it wasn’t raining at all but instead Eno and Boards of Canada were doing some sort of unannounced secret gig right outside my tent. Or maybe not. Maybe it was just rain and I had to face up to reality. It was good to daydream for a bit, but however much I wished it all away, I knew I had to stick my nose out of the tent and see what exactly was going on. I wriggled myself around and edged towards the front of the tent and, with a certain amount of trepidation, moved the zip down a couple of inches to scan the sky. It was uniformly grey as far as I could see. I pulled the zip down a few more inches, hoping for a break in the clouds somewhat, but there was nothing. It was if a big grey sheet had been thrown over the whole site. In fact there were no clouds at all; it wasn’t that threatening, heavy, scudding black clouds sort of view; just a grey sky. The closest way to describe it is as if you went to bed with a colour tv in your front room and in the night it had been mysteriously replaced with a black and white one. This in itself wasn’t a bad thing; I’d have liked a touch of blue sky to wake up to, although it wasn’t essential. What was certainly not a good thing was the rain, A constant light drizzle. It didn’t seem to be a downpour, it wasn’t windy, simply steady and continuous. Normally I don’t suppose that this would cause much of a problem; if there was such a little shower at home then I think we’re all quite used to it and just get on with things. (After all, I’m from the North of England and we have enough practice with rain. It’s our default position. Rain). However, 15 minutes of drizzle at Glastonbury is a different proposition altogether.

Same cause-but with a very different effect.   

Read more/Get/See  "Left Again at the Womble" here:

Amazon UK




No comments:

Post a Comment