Thursday, July 10, 2014

Going to Glastonbury by coach...

Going to Glastonbury by coach...and previous coach experiences...

Hot off the laptop so to speak, here below is a brief, rough and unedited extract from my forthcoming (& as yet untitled book about Glasto 2014. An early chapter of a work in progress...     




Glasto had decided to release a number of tickets early i.e. on the Thursday before the main ticket sale Sunday, to those who bought combined coach and festival tickets.

“Blimey,” I said to Jackie, “That’s a bit unexpected, isn’t it?”

“Didn’t you know they were going to do that?”

“No. You read it all?”

“Yes,” she said, “So what are you going to do?”

I shrugged. “Dunno? What do you think?”

“It’s up to you. You were going to drive but…”

“I know! If I don’t try for those tickets and miss out on the Sunday then I’d be kicking myself. It’s just coaches you know, Germany and all that?”

“That was ages ago. It’ll be all different now.”

“Really? You think?”

“Germany and all that” referred to an experience seared into my memory like a very bad dream and one that nearly thirty years on still is scarily memorable. We’d decided sometime in the mid-1980’s that we needed a holiday, and preferably a cheap one. This was just before we had a house, got married or had kids. 

We were therefore young and foolish. (As opposed to old and foolish, I guess.) 

We picked the cheapest holiday we could; 7 nights half board to Cologne for £59. Including transport. 

Coach. 

My grasp on history isn’t that strong and I’m not sure if the Berlin Wall had fallen by that stage, but I’m sure that the one that was used to get us from Liverpool, across the Channel and half way into Europe had been chartered from some East German coach firm, if not the Stasi themselves. It wouldn’t have surprised me if there was a Trabant badge on the front of the thing. 

It took hours and hours to just get to Dover, stopping to pick up people at every-God-forsaken place between Liverpool and the South Coast. (I won’t name the places for fear of offending anyone, but you can make a fair guess.)

I think that it broke down about 3 times just before we even got to the ferry. The seats on the coach would have been made out of concrete, but they managed to find a type of fabric that was slightly more uncomfortable. This therefore, was our home for the nearly 40 hours it took us to get from Liverpool to Cologne. (It managed to break down another 3 times before we reached our destination.) 

The journey was so long and uncomfortable that at times I couldn’t actually remember having spent any time of my life outside of the bus. The worst thing was that we knew we would have to make the same journey in reverse just to get back home. 

I was never a big Sex Pistols fan, but cheap holidays in other people’s misery never sounded so true. I swore that I’d never travel anywhere willingly by coach ever again.

All this should hopefully explain my aversion to getting to Glastonbury by bus.   


The finalised book should be out there in the wild by Christmas. It'll the third (and final) part of a trilogy. Like Lord of the Rings, but not as funny. 

You can read/see/get the first two books here, either as Kindle books or as hold-in-your hand paperbacks:

"Turn Left at the Womble" 

"Left Again at the Womble"


No comments:

Post a Comment