Friday, July 18, 2014

Top 50 Debut LPs List-A Sort of Explanation



Top 50 Debut LPs

A bit of an explanation.

I thought long and hard about this list. Well, for a couple of days at least, but it sort of worked itself out without much intervention by me.

There were a lot of artists whose first albums didn’t make the list, but who are up there for me; Bob Dylan being a prime example. As much as I love Dylan’s work, I can’t honestly say that his first album deserves to be in my Top 50 debuts of all time. I think that he falls into a category of artist who only really get into their stride after one, two or three albums

There are also many, many other artists, who if they had ever recorded an album, would surely be in there; most of the blues artists from the 1920’s and 30’s could stake a claim, as well as some jazz greats such as Professor Longhair and Jelly Roll Morton, but albums were just not part of the landscape back then.

I then turn to those odd artists who have only recorded one album and sunk into obscurity. (Odd, being the correct word for some of these. Odd ,but great; that’s why they’re there!) I suppose these debuts could also be their final ones and it all depends how you look at it. I’m going for the glass half-full angle.

What has surprised me slightly is the lack of music from the 60’s & 70’s as well as whole genres largely missing; (album-era) jazz, soul, reggae, prog, punk. It could be that many of my favourite reggae, soul and punk tracks are singles rather than albums. As for prog, well, I just don’t like it very much! 

The final piece in the jigsaw was grading them in some sort of order.

I know these choices are my Top 50, but the hard part was sticking them in some sort of graduated order. Is the 50th one than much less worthy than what’s number one? Or does number two really deserve a place up there in the stratosphere?

It is all down to how I felt at the time of compiling the list. I’ll bet If I look back at it in a years’ time, I’d be thinking, “Number three? Really?”, but for now, here it is.

Hope you like it!
 
1
Madonna
Madonna



2
The Slits
Cut



3
Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley


4
The Fall
Live at the Witch Trials

5
U2
Boy



6
Tammy Wynette
Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad

7
Blue Angel
Blue Angel


8
Little Richard
Here's Little Richard


9
Swell Maps
A Trip to Marineville

10
MX-80 Sound
Hard Attack


11
Swans
Filth



12
Fats Domino
Rock and Rollin with Fats Domino
13
The Beat
I Just Can't Stop It


14
Frank Zappa
Freak Out!


15
the passage
pindrop



16
Satan Alfa Beel Atem
Delicior Pink Ribbon Beel (Music of Death)
17
Howlin Wolf
Moanin in the Moonlight

18
Jeff Buckley
Grace



19
Prefab Sprout
Swoon



20
The Saints
(I'm) Stranded


21
Tony Bennett
Because of You


22
Rip Rig & Panic
God



23
The Sundays
Reading,Writing & Arithmetic

24
Big Black
Atomizer



25
The Blue Nile
A Walk Across the Rooftops

26
Muslimgauze
Kabul



27
Alternative TV
The Image Has Cracked

28
Laura Cantrell
Not the Trembling Kind

29
The Descendents
Milo Goes to College

30
De La Soul
3ft High & Rising


31
Bruce Springsteen
Greetings from Astbury Park

32
Karen Cooper Complex
Shinjuku



33
The Congos
Heart of the Congos


34
The Strypes
Snapshot



35
Wire
Pink Flag



36
Rocketship
A Certain Smile A Certain Sadness
37
The Woodentops
Giant



38
Portishead
Dummy



39
Young Marble Giants
Colossal Youth


40
Capt Beefheart
Safe As Milk


41
The Art of Noise
Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise?
42
The Ramones
The Ramones


43
Manic Street Preachers
Generation Terrorists

44
Aztec Camera
High Land,Hard Rain


45
Scritti Politti
Songs to Remember

46
Burial
Burial



47
Ry Cooder
Ry Cooder


48
Talking Heads
77



49
Thomas Leer & Robert Rental
The Bridge


50
The Baby Astronauts
All the Pancakes You Can Eat



I wrote about many of these albums and artists in my book “Totally Shuffled-A Year of Listening to Music on a Broken iPod”

This is what the book is all about:

One track per day for 366 days on a broken iPod. 366 tracks out of a possible 9553. From the obvious (The Rolling Stones), to the obscure (Karen Cooper Complex). From the sublime (The Flaming Lips) to the risible (Muse).  From field recordings of Haitian Voodoo music to The Monkees. From Heavy Metal to Rap by way of 1930’s blues, jazz, classical, punk, and every possible genre of music in between. This is what I listened to and wrote about for a whole year, to the point of never wanting to hear any more music again. Some songs I listened to I loved, and some I hated. Some artists ended up getting praised to the skies and others received a bit of critical kicking. There are memories of spending too many hours in record shops, prevaricating over the next big thing and surprising myself over tracks that I’d completely forgotten about. But with 40 years of listening to music, I realised that I’ll never get sick of it.  I may have fallen out of love with some of the songs in this book, but I’ll never fall out of love with music.   

“Totally Shuffled” is available as a Kindle book here:

and as a paperback here: 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment