Monday, February 4, 2013

glastonbury 2011 unreleased extract

second extract of four not in the "Turn Left at the Womble" book as it relates to 2011-wonder what I'll be writing about after june this year...



Sunday.

Well, this was a different kind of day.

No work at all so in some ways it felt as if it was just starting again.

Again got up dead early-7 am therefore only 2 hours kip but applying the I’m knackered anyway principle decided to tough it out and make the most of the day.

As I got up there wasn’t a cloud in the sky -not a one. Although the forecast was going to be good one of the security blokes told me that the BBC were saying it was going to be incredibly hot-27-30 degrees! And the mud would all be dried up by mid afternoon-happy days.

After a massive full English breakfast to start the day right the plan was to make every second count. So, with wellies on (still sceptical about the mud),bag packed for the day with suitable bananas, loads of bottles of water, fold -up chair over my shoulder (rock and roll hey!) and the brolly (to act as sunshade) off I headed for a day of relaxation and merriment.

Whilst I had checked the guide the only artist I wanted to see for sure was Paul Simon mid afternoon –thought it might be a good sing-along thing. Wasn’t sure which headliner I would go to to finish the whole thing off-it was a toss up between Beyonce, Queens of the Stone Age, Gruff Rhys, The Streets  or Kool & the Gang.

To cut a long story short I just spent most of the day wholly chilled out just wandering around enjoying the whole thing. Got the Observer and spent a good hour of so at dinnertime leafing through it with a fantastic pizza, massive cappuccino, huge home made raspberry muffin-in the sun. Wellies and socks off-feet up watching the Noisettes at the Other Stage in virtually the same spot we were at last year. Rang Amy “you’ll never guess where I am etc?” Maybe it was because I was so relaxed but tired but it was the only time I was homesick all weekend-just wished I could’ve shared that moment with her. Still it was a beautiful day and after polishing off all the grub sauntered off to see Paul Simon.

Who, quite frankly was a disappointment. Myself and everyone around me watching the main stage expected him to do hit after hit (which is what he said he was going to do) but in an hours set he did about 5 tracks off his new album which nobody really knew or was arsed about. The tone of it was set by the fact that after the first song he mumbled something about, "I’ve got a sore throat so excuse me if it not up to what you expected etc” . The bloke standing next to me said in a gruff northern accent, “We’ve been up to our necks in a muddy field for the past four days pal so stop your bloody moaning”, sentiments which I wholeheartedly agreed with. It would have taken more than Mr Simon to piss me off though and anyway he soon shuffled off. Plan B followed him & was much better than expected. By the time they finished it was 8.00 ish so just time to nip back to the mess tent for evening meal and to catch up on things.

Back out for 9.30 and I had decided to see Beyonce though was prepared to make a dash for something else if she was rubbish. There is not much to say about her show except that it was absolutely flipping fantastic. I was blown away! Whilst this is far from my cup of Earl Grey but from the get go it was hit after hit-the atmosphere was fantastic and she had everyone in the palm of her hand-young & old, men & women. There were just big grins all around and especially from the blokes (who like myself I guess had not expected much).In the end everyone was bopping away-the whole field in front of the Pyramid was rammed-maybe 80,000 people or so. What a way to finish the whole thing!

Finally back at 2 ish after Beyonce and a few drinks. Fast asleep by 3.

And that was it.

Will I go back again? Can’t wait till 2013.

Would I work it again? Probably not but if I couldn’t get a ticket I would not miss it for the world.

The mud? Oh I’ve done a muddy Glasto & lived to tell the tale-this will be a story that can live on for generations-ie  “ Grandad, tell us the tale of the big muddy field.”

No comments:

Post a Comment