Saturday, March 29, 2014

Left Again at the Womble- the tale of the tent



Extracted from "Left Again at the Womble-The Adventures of a Middle-Aged Dad Working at the Glastonbury Festival". This bit is all about practicing putting a tent up...   


The remaining time before Glasto sped by without really noticing. Before I knew it, it was the beginning of June and therefore only 3 weeks away. Apart from buying all the gear a few weeks before, I hadn’t done anything else. I knew that I had to try to put the tent up, in a practice run sort of way, but considering my general ineptitude in all matters tent-related, I’d kept putting off the evil day, but faced with such a short deadline, I knew that I’d have to face up to my demons and just do it. At the very least, if there was something missing or broken, then I’d have time (just about) to sort it out. I couldn’t really leave it until when I was actually at Glastonbury to try to put it up for the first time. 

As a side issue, and this is something I’ve noticed every time I’ve been to Glasto, is that everyone else seems to be an expert at putting tents up. Even really complicated, big ones seem to get whizzed up with no difficulties and look really professional; tight, florescent guy ropes and everything securely in place. Each time I’ve put our tent up, it’s always involved a lot of wrestling and swearing, and the end result appears to look as if I haven’t a clue about what I’m doing or really know how it should turn out. Which I haven’t and I don’t. The fabric always seems gravitate towards slackness, so by the end it’s the camping equivalent of some wrinkled prune. Whereas everyone else’s remains as tight as a drum, repelling water and wind, without a second thought. 

Anyway, I decided I couldn’t leave having the practice run any longer, so one night after work I summoned up the courage to give it a go. Now for ease we’d got one of these new-fangled pop- up tents, which in theory, should be able to be erected with simply a deft flick of the wrist. I was a bit sceptical about this. Surely this was the camping version of the old “whip-the-tablecloth-off-whilst-leaving- the-bone china-in-place” trick. It would all end in tears. Always ready for a good laugh, the whole family gathered around while I studied the instruction booklet intently. It did seem fairly simple and because it was only a two-man tent, I decided not to mess around with putting it up outside. The front room would do. It was a flat circular affair when packed; like a big nylon pancake. I undid the packaging, and to my utter surprise, it seemed to leap out of my fingers of its own volition and jump into the middle of the floor, all set up.

“And you all doubted me”, I said, somewhat triumphantly. “I knew exactly what I was doing”.

Amy looked at me, over her cup of tea. “Ah, you’ve just got to get it all back in place now. That should be easy as well.” Sarcasm is not a very likeable trait in one so young.



Read more/see/get "Left Again at the Womble" here; Kindle e book or paperback



UK  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IBK2V6M

US  http://www.amazon.com/Left-Again-Womble-middle-aged-Glastonbury-ebook/dp/B00IBK2V6M

No comments:

Post a Comment