Friday, March 14, 2014

Totally Shuffled-Paddy McAloon




Extracted from "Totally Shuffled-A Year of Lisening to Music on a Broken iPod"

Paddy McAloon-I Trawl the Megahertz-I Trawl the Megahertz

When I started this book on January 1st one of my self-imposed rules was that I would only write about one track per artist. Now, as I have already shuffled upon Prefab Sprout, writing about a solo Paddy McAloon track is kind of breaking the rules somewhat. I do have an excuse though; maybe I’m bending rather than breaking the rules.  

In 2003 there were rumours spreading across the internet-well, not really flooding the internet, just the couple of sites that had the residual hardcore of a few hundred Prefab Sprout fans(including myself), hanging on for any news of anything new-of a new recording from Paddy McAloon or Prefab Sprout. After a while it became clear that this new recording was about to be unleashed and it was going to be a solo McAloon effort rather than something under the Prefab Sprout banner. Speculation grew rife-there were theories that he had completed one of his long lost album projects (the life story of Michael Jackson or “Total Snow”-the Christmas album (never seen and now Kate Bush has beaten him to it, I think that one’s dead in the water. Who’d have thought that Kate Bush would beat anyone in to releasing a similarly themed album to her? The only person who’s slower at working is Mr McAloon himself), or that he’d gone totally country and Dylan-esque with a sort of “Self Portrait” thing. Some strong rumours circulated that he was working with Pete Waterman on a techno record or collaborating with Extreme Noise Terror on a 78 track 28 minute long trash epic. Nothing however, could have prepared the world for what actually became the “I Trawl the Megahertz” album.

The first sign of anything happening-the only sign beforehand- were a couple of grainy photos of radio antennae on the Prefab Sprout website. This website hadn’t been updated for years; I’m sure that it said it was best viewed using Netscape. Anyway, there were these two black and white photos of what looked like military-type radio dishes. Nothing else;  no narrative and no explanation. Then, a week before the album was released, there was something about the title of the album and an interview with Paddy McAloon on a late night programme on Radio 3. Radio 3! I’d worked out by then that it wasn’t a collaborative effort with ENT or Pete Waterman and the country angle had died a death as well. He rabbited on about how he’d fallen out of love with pop music and had been listening to a lot of classical music, but it was one of those interviews where it seemed to go on for a while but nothing was really said. There were a few snippets from the album broadcast, but nothing could have prepared me for when I first heard this track-over twenty minutes long with a spoken narrative by a female actor backed by stringed (classical) instrumentation. This was so far away from Prefab Sprout that it was like listening to a different artist altogether. 

And that’s how I can break my rule.  


Get "Totally Shuffled" here as a Kindle book



or here (Part One) as a paperback   



 

No comments:

Post a Comment