Friday, March 28, 2014

Totally Shuffled-Kate Bush



(extracted from "Totally Shuffled-A Year of Listening to Music on a Broken iPod" - 366 days/366 tracks/366 artists)

February 14th

Kate Bush-In The Warm Room-Lionheart



It would be inevitable that somewhere during this year that the iPod would stumble across one of the handful of artists that are up there. In my stratosphere of appreciation, there are only a few who tick all boxes. There are some artists who have released great albums/singles over the years and some who can be valued because they pursue interesting directions and push at boundaries, but sometimes flop and can’t keep the quality going. There are those who are interesting in themselves, but part of that that makes them interesting is that they are inherently flawed. All of these are worthwhile and good and have produced music that I have loved over the years. There aren’t many artists who have consistently released great music and continually do challenging work. Off the top of my head, and without being a bit listist-Bob Dylan, The Fall, Flaming Lips. 

There’s Bruce Springsteen and Blind Willie McTell. 

And Kate Bush.

Where to start with Kate Bush? I know exactly the moment when the penny dropped for me. It wasn’t upon the release of “Wuthering Heights” or any of her first few albums. They kind of passed me by. I thought that they were ok-ish, but only really heard the singles, and even then only on TOTPs. There was a lot of nonsense about Kate Bush being only for Dads and her astounding beauty etc. I honestly can say that this definitely went over my head at the time, and even now I see it a total red herring.  Between “Wuthering Heights” and “the moment”, I was more preoccupied with post-punk stuff and, in retrospect, had fairly limited horizons. It would be stuff that John Peel would play by and large, and tend only to be on indie labels. Major label and commercial music was out.

Anyway, it was a Saturday afternoon in September 1985, and I was alone in the shared house I was renting. I know it was a Saturday afternoon. as I was listening to a Radio 1 magazine-type show, hosted by Richard Skinner. I was cleaning the stairs (oh, how I lived a rock and roll life back then), when he introduced an item about Kate Bush’s new forthcoming album, “The Hounds Of Love.” I would have normally let this waft over me or turned to Radio 4. Because I was busy and had my hands full-the radio was in another room- I simply couldn’t be bothered. The item was a fairly lengthy interview with Kate Bush and with clips of the album. I listened to it with increasing wonder-this sounded brilliant -in all senses of the word. The sound itself was so clear and sharp, quite unlike the Rough Trade stuff that was my then current stock-in-trade.  The fact that it was a semi-concept album should have put me off, but it was intriguing in itself-possibly it was a sign that I was getting a bit bored with the same old stuff. I shouldn’t have liked this hippy-ish idea, but found myself doing less and less of the cleaning, and listening more and more intently to the interview. By the time the item had finished, I was both convinced and converted. I went into town first thing on the Monday morning and bought the album. No prevarication-straight to HMV at 9.00 a.m. It is still up there as one of my all time favourite records-at least in the top ten and probably the top three. (Looking at the internet for the release date of “Hounds of Love”, I see it was September 16th 1985. Presuming that the item ran on the Saturday before then, that must have been the 14th of September. I do remember it was a warm, sunny afternoon and recall sitting on the top of the stairs, sunlight streaming across the landing, with a cup of tea by my side and the duster discarded).
 

Since then, over the past twenty-odd years or so, I’ve got hold of all her studio albums, really early demos and a couple of live shows. Without fault they are on their own, head and shoulders above most other music, fascinating, brilliant and well, just different.

Possibly stating that they are head and shoulders above everything else is a bit much. Maybe that they are on a whole different plane from most other music would be more apt.

A bit like Kate Bush herself-a whole different plane(t).   

Get "Totally Shuffled" here;  





No comments:

Post a Comment