Friday, March 7, 2014

Twenty Albums of Inspiration Part 4



Twenty Albums of Inspiration Part 4


The final part (for now). I'm fairly certain that there may be some others along in a bit but for now...


16. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band-Live 1975-1985



 

In many ways Bruce Springsteen is the antithesis of one of my other favourite artists, The Fall. I cannot imagine that there is much commonality between the two of them-on the surface at least. I certainly wouldn’t imagine that Mark E Smith has many Bruce Springsteen albums in his record collection and I’d guess that Bruce has never heard of The Fall. Even if he had, even the Fall’s most commercial output wouldn’t figure in his in car entertainment. Springsteen is famous for covering other artists songs in concert but I’m not expecting a version of “Who Pays the Nazis?” complete with the full E-Street band to crop up soon. I can live in hope though-it would be interesting. But liking both The Fall and Springsteen not to the point of obsession but close enough is, at times, I think an odd choice, and a little bit schizophrenic.  I do find it difficult to switch from a Fall track to one by Springsteen; there has to be a bit of a buffer between them, some sort of transition. It’s similar to that feeling I get when having driven a hire car on holiday that’s properly serviced and virtually brand new, with pedals and controls that require the lightest of touches to returning to my 10 year old, 140,000 miles-on-the-clock Citroen and having to drive it with the equivalent of lead boots and arms of steel just to change gears. Both cars do what I need them to do i.e. get me from A to B; it’s just that they do it in different ways. Well, that’s the same thing with Springsteen and The Fall. Both make music unlike anything else and both are utterly unique-but for that reason they are more similar than you might expect. (More of this later).

My interest in and love for Springsteen’s music goes back a long way though, unlike that with The Fall, there have been peaks and troughs and many years that I’ve either not been bothered or unfairly dismissed it. Thinking about it there are actually three distinct phases.

It really started when, back in early 1980, when a friend introduced me to “The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle” album as being something I should marvel at. Now, I usually took their judgement as impeccable, but being at the time of post-punk and the height I suppose of my blinkered approach to music, I was dead set against it from the start. To convince me that I was wrong somehow-I  can’t remember how as this was the before the time that videos were generally available- they managed to show me the famous clip of Springsteen playing “Rosalita” live-the one where there is a stage invasion at the end. I think that this was recorded sometime in the late 1970’s and broadcast on the BBC at sometime. This is where we must have caught it. I was reluctant to admit it, but there was something about it, about the sheer exhilaration and passion that did make a lot of the music I was listening to at the time seem a bit grey and lifeless. I did compartmentalise it to a corner marked “American Guitar Rock” for a good few years although I always kept a soft spot for that song. (Maybe it was pure sentimentalism based upon memories of good times-I’m just not sure.)

It all went quiet though for me Bruce-wise until 1986 and the release of the 5 LP Live 75-85 box set.  I hadn’t been convinced of any of his supposed greatness and was still writing him off as a mere chest-thumping anthemic stadium filling U.S. star, devoid of any true soul or real insight. (I was possibly also influenced by Prefab Sprout’s “Cars and Girls” where Paddy McAloon dismissed Springsteen as writing only about those two topics. That’s how easily influenced I was at that time. I hadn’t actually really listened to any Springsteen but merely based my dislike of his music on irrational and ill-founded assumptions.) But the box set was issued and received a 5 star full page review, in of all places, NME. It did therefore cross my mind that I’d been missing something. Always ready to fall for a good review and with £30 that I’d got from work as a birthday present, I toddled off to HMV, pondered long and hard as to whether it would be a stupid extravagance to blow it all on one live box set, worried if I was somehow betraying my “punk roots” (how naïve, but that’s how it was) and ending up going home with the whole 3, nearly 4 hour collection.

I really didn’t expect that much and thought that I would end up forcing myself to like it as it had cost me that much.(£30 was not a small amount at the time.) I needn’t have been concerned. It was a revelation from the start. A 1975 recording of “Thunder Road” is the first track, side one and I was blown away by the sheer poetry of it all. It wasn’t what I anticipated at all. As I listened to disc after disc it dawned on me that this was so much more than I could have hoped for. Even the tracks recorded in the stadiums were something special. As the massed audience sing the first two lines of “Hungry Heart” and as a huge cheer rises when Springsteen sang about New York in “Jersey Girl” I felt a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Even today, after hearing a lot of Springsteen’s live music there’s something about those two tracks that takes me back to that moment and still provokes the same emotions. I’d always thought until then that The Velvet Underground’s “Live 1969” was one of the best live albums ever but I revised my stance after hearing Springsteen’s box set. (I do have a bit of a dilemma now because of Dylan’s “Live 1966 Albert Hall” album. 

Maybe I could qualify things by saying that the Dylan album in the greatest live show recorded and the Springsteen is the best live compilation. A bit of a cop-out but it works. Sort of.)

However much I was, and still am, enamoured by the Live 75-85 box set, there was a long hiatus before I bought another Springsteen record or truly got it. There was always a lot of other music to hear and a lot of other records to buy and for at least 15 years the Springsteen box set was Bruce’s only representation in my record collection. I rationalised it by thinking that it was a good representation of his output and that nothing could really live up to it anyway. But for some strange reason I can’t recall about ten years ago, my interest in Bruce Springsteen suddenly was re- awakened. This has led until now (and shows no signs of diminishing) to me getting all the studio albums and at least 150 live recordings from the internet. I can’t believe that for so long I closed my mind to this great, passionate music. 

And that’s the connection between The Fall and Bruce Springsteen for me. Irrespective of whether you like either of them, what they make is produced seemingly out of a deep need to communicate and with no eye upon prevailing fashions. 

It’s just something that they have to do and it’s made with honesty and truth and love.  







17. Blue Angel-Blue Angel



A bit of a surprise, this one.

An album with Cyndi Lauper which stands completely well in comparison to anything else on this list.

Cyndi Lauper?  I think that back in the 1980’s she was seen somewhat as a bit of a ditzy sub-Madonna clone-mad hair and bonkers clothes etc. I think that she could have been bigger than Madonna, but didn’t seem the way she wanted to go. By the way-I’m not going to start slating Madonna here; I’ve always liked her stuff, but it’s a bit too easy to directly compare the two of them.

As far as I can see the only thing that they had in common is that they were about the same age, both female solo artists who became successful at the same time and were both from New York.

That was it. They both did totally different things. Madonna lined herself up with the best writers and producers of the time; Cyndi Lauper was much more of a musician. She was (and is) a brilliant songwriter and has a fantastic voice. One of very few artists who have perfect pitch.

This track is from a little-heard album by her first pre-solo success band, Blue Angel. It’s a pure straight up rock and roll/rockabilly record and stands up well against anything that Elvis, Gene Vincent or Eddie Cochran ever recorded in the 1950’s. Seriously, it’s that good. Most of the songs on it were written by Lauper although there are some well -chosen covers as well. It doesn’t sound like some terrible 50’s pastiche however and that what’s makes it so special. It’s just a brilliant piece of music.

Above all that is the sound of her voice which is truly spectacular. One particular track on the album, “Anna Blue”, always brings a tear to my eye.  It’s that good it would make an angel cry as well. 







18. The National-High Violet



My love of The National was really all triggered by going to the Glastonbury Festival in 2010. After finding out some of the artists that would be playing and whom I hadn’t heard before, I thought I really should try to hear at least a bit of their music before I went. I didn’t want to really spend hours standing for hours in muddy fields listening to bands that I didn’t have a clue about. (In the case of Muse I’d have rather spent hours head first in a muddy field than listen to them.) Anyway, it was very hot and sunny with no mud in 2010 so that question didn’t really come into play. I had got hold of the latest albums of some of the bands, figuring out that probably would be fairly representative of what they’d be playing.

And this included The National’s most recent release at the time, “High Violet”. I only half-listened to it before we went and then only a couple of times. It was kind of lost within the general rush before we went. To this day, I just cannot understand why. Of all the bands and artists that I’ve ever seen live, watching The National at Glastonbury is probably the most revelatory musical experience of my life. I don’t think that it was just because we were at Glastonbury in perfect weather on a beautiful summer afternoon.

There was more to it than that.

There’s something fiercely intelligent, life-affirming and tightly focussed about The National-not just on that Saturday in June-but deep within and throughout every record they have made. It’s just a shame I took so long to discover them and I know that this record will always be up there for me.  






19. The Flaming Lips-Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots 


As with The Fall, it’s difficult just to pick one album by The Flaming Lips. It is quite an arbitrary process and really any of their records would suffice. It’s not one album or one track that has been inspirational for me but virtually everything that they’ve done. It’s not only the music but their whole process; from how they interact with their fans, what they stand for, their work ethic-just everything about them.

(I pondered a long time about including their 2012 recording “7 Skies H3” but it does last for a straight 24 hours and although I do love it as it wasn’t issued as a straightforward album I don’t suppose it would count.)

So, I picked this album really because it contains one of the best yet happiest songs about death ever, “Do You Realise???” It’s possibly one of the Flips best known songs and despite (or because of) the fact that it’s a staple of their live shows and possible over-played, I still love it. Whilst I have an unfortunate reputation within the family (one which they all-and especially my children- find hilarious) for choking up and blinking tears away when anything remotely sentimental is either on the TV or in a film or a particular song is played (see “Abide with Me” at the Cup Final as a prime example) this track by the Flips always does it for me, right from the very first chord. But because it is such a fantastic song I really don’t care. Listen to this song and tell me that the world isn’t a better place because it’s there. Above all, the Flips tell us that everything will be alright.            








20. The Fall-The Complete Peel Sessions


The greatest compilation by the greatest band ever.

I was going to write reams and reams about The Fall and found it really difficult to pick just one album. I‘ve kind of hedged my bets by choosing this one but for me the best work that the Fall have ever done was their Peel Sessions.

Disc Two. Tracks 5-7. “Smile”, “Garden”, “Hexen Definitive/Strife Knot”. A triptych of perfection that for me, not only stands above most other recorded music, but above every single album on this list.

I am listening to the tracks as I type and still find myself thinking, “How can anything be this good? Where did this come from?” If The Fall had only ever recorded three songs ever, then these alone would warrant their inclusion as some of the greatest art ever produced by humanity.

Nothing more needs to be said. 





 Twenty Albums of Inspiration.

To anyone who has stumbed across all this,whether by accident or design, thanks for reading it all. Hope you have enjoyed it, and I'm sure that you have albums of your own that are similarly inspirational.

There's a lot more similarly worded musings and ramblings about music in my book "Totally Shuffled-A Year of Listening to Music on a Broken iPod" where I wrote about whatever track out of tens of thousands cropped up first on shuffle on my old iPod. For 366 days there were 366 different tracks by 366 different artists;some of whom are part of these 20 albums of inpsiration.

You can get the book here as a Kindle book;



or here as a paperback;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Totally-Shuffled-Listening-Broken-iPod-The/dp/149495687X
     


  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment