Thursday, March 6, 2014

Twenty Albums of Inspiration Part 3



Twenty Albums of Inspiration Part 3


11. Various-Goodbye Babylon 
 





I’m not including this 8 CD set for any spiritual reasons but more (and only) for the fact that it’s a massive collection of arcane music from 1902-1960 (135 songs, 7 CDs) and an extra CD of fire and brimstone sermons recorded between 1926 to 1941. Some of this stuff is over a century old and still, through all the crackles of old 78’s and the swirling mist of time, with it echoing through the house, it somehow seems much more present than most things made during the past thirty years or so.

The eighth disc of the eight disc box set is comprised entirely of sermons recorded mainly in the 1920’s all by various Reverends and Elders with titles that are so evocative that hearing them makes it a mission by itself.  Rev J M Gates’ “Gettin' Ready For Christmas Day” and “Death Might Be Your Santa Claus” give an indication that it wouldn’t have been the jolliest of times at the Gates household around December 25th. Rev J M Milton’s “The Black Camel of Death” has to be heard to be believed and as for Rev Emmet Dickinson’s “Hell and What It Is”, if anything is going to persuade me to have a life of total abstinence, well, Emmett’s graphic descriptions of what’s awaiting me would point me in only one direction. I fear though that it may be way too late for me anyway, irrespective of the fact that I’m a 100% confirmed atheist. There are 24 tracks like this on this one disc and although reviews of the box set have said that it all gets a bit monotonous and heavy, quite frankly, to me it’s the best part of what is already a superb compilation.

What is odd I suppose, is that despite my beliefs, I really do like all this stuff. Looking at it dispassionately and if I only read the words that the assorted Reverends belt out (rather than listening to the inherent musicality of it all) I’d find it a whole bunch of nonsense. There is however, an intangible element of something else extra. Most of the tracks are only sermons and a few have small choirs in the background urging the preachers on. None of them have any instruments at all and the preachers never break out into much of any recognisable tunes (except at random moments when it all gets too much for them), but it must be the mere sound of the voices and the heartfelt passion that make them sound like the most musical things you’ve ever heard.

This track (below), by the good Rev A W Nix, is one of two on the CD (I figure it must have been recorded on a 78 as “Black Diamond Express From Hell Part I” on one side and part 2 on the other). Without going through the whole thing, the sermon is based on the fact that the there’s a train heading for hell, with pleasure as the headlight, sin as the engineer and the devil as the conductor. It’s stopping at various stations on the way to pick up those who the Rev thinks are destined to end up in the fiery furnace-liars at one station, drunkards at another, gamblers at a third, conjurors at the next and so on. There are stations for deceivers, cheats, those who dance the Charleston on a Saturday and go to Church on a Sunday-the list is endless. He even seems to manage to squeeze in a station for the leaders of his own Church just in order to settle a few scores. The best bit is towards the end when he bellows that the train is fully loaded and re-stoked with brimstone and the throttle is fully for the final descent. It sends a shiver down your spine. He breaks out into a snippet of a hymn at the very end and sings that he’s so glad that he’s not on the Black Diamond Express before ending the whole shebang with a final “Amen”. After hearing this I’m convinced that all songs, spiritual or not, should conclude with that as a sign-off.     




this is part one (above)

...and this is part two (below)



 








12. High Rise-High Rise II



Asahito Nanjo is a Japanese underground musician, best known for his  pyschedelic rock groups High Rise,Mainliner, and the ethnic improvisation unit Toho Sara. He has been active on the Tokyo underground scene since the late seventies.

Part of his sonic aesthetic is to record, mix, and master using extreme levels of dsitortion,dynamic range,compression, and clipping making the sound of the instruments unrecognizable. The results can be said to contain elements of noise music.

Below are the main groups with which he has been involved from 1979 to the present:



  • Red Alert (psychedelic punk group, 79-81)
  • Red (experimental performance, 79-89)
  • Conformist (dark psychedelic group, 81-82)
  • Deaf and Dumb House (aesthetic improvisation unit, 81-82)
  • Virus Freak (avant-garde free rock group, 81-82)
  • Tako (avant-garde performance group, 81-82)
  • I’m useless (strange free rock unit centring around Tamio Shiraishi, 81-82)
  • Telepatys going bad of Rotness (psychedelic punk group, 81-82)
  • Kosokuya (psychedelic avant-garde group, 82-83)
  • Sweet Inspirations (progenitor of Maher Shalal Hash Baz, 83-84)
  • Psychedelic Speed Freaks (the ur-High Rise, 83-84)
  • High Rise (heavy psychedelic group, 84 - present)
  • Shokubaiya (improvised music unit, 88-89)
  • Nijiumu (improv unit formed with Keiji Haino, 88-90)
  • Ohkami no Jikan (dark psychedelic group, 90 - present)
  • Ten no Okami (avant-garde unit, with Keiji Haino, 90-91)
  • Johari (ethnic meets experimental, 90-92)
  • Toho Sara (avant-garde shamanism, 92- present)
  • Group Musica (avant-garde symphonic group, 94 - present)
  • Bibliotheca Hermetica (avant-garde, 94 - present)
  • Mysterious Adni (avant-garde, 94 - present)
  • Ancient Wisdom (avant-garde, 94 - present)
  • Splendour Solis (avant-garde, 94 - present)
  • Up Tight (free jazz unit, 94 - present)
  • Musica Transonic (psychedelic improvised music, 94 - present)
  • Mainliner (heavy psychedelic noise rock group, 95 - present)
  • Psychedelic Background (trip psychedelic group, 96 - present)
  • Minus Three Years Old (new psychedelic blues band, with Keiji Haino, 96 - present)


You’d wonder where he would get the time to do anything else-sleep, eat etc.

If it wasn’t for the internet I would never had heard of High Rise or indeed, Asahito Nanjo. In days gone by, when there were only record shops-remember them?- you may, just may, by chance stumbles upon an odd ,weird, imported album in the dusty recesses of your local independent record shop, Even then, if you hadn’t heard it on John Peel’s show it would be a total enigma. It would have been an expensive punt on something that you had absolutely no clue about.

(Back in the early 80’s, I very nearly spent £20 (then over half of a week’s dole money) on an imported Japanese album by a band called Phew! simply because the cover art was so good and I liked the name of the band. I didn’t know anything about them, the whole sleeve was in Japanese and I hadn’t heard anything about them at all. I kept going back to the record shop and prevaricated for weeks until one day it had disappeared. Someone else must have bought it! It always stuck in my mind though and finally, sometime last year, I saw it on the net. It was a bit like the Holy Grail of records that I’d never got. Upon hearing it finally it had been very worthwhile remembering it.)

Anyway, back to High Rise. This track is from High Rise II which was an international release of High Rise’s first album released in Japan only called High Rise. They also released an album in Japan only called High Rise II which is totally different to the High Rise II internationally released album. It’s all a bit confusing.

I first came across High Rise II (international edition etc) on a music blog dedicated to all things obscure/noisy/arcane. Being a bit of a sucker for the premise that the more obscure the better it was a simple step to get hold of it. I fully expected it to be-especially considering all the other stuff recorded by Asahito Nanjo- a curio, but frankly unlistenable. I was surprised when it turned out to be although slightly off the wall, it was quite a hummable rock album. Not something you would whistle whist cleaning your windows but it did have (some) tunes on there. For an album that I really didn’t have high expectations of, I am always puzzled by the fact that not only do I like it a lot but that I keep coming back to it and playing it over and over again. There must be something about it that I just can’t put my finger on.  It sounds a bit like some of the more outré tracks from the Pebbles compilations mixed with hard hard rock, though in its (obscure) defence, the vocals sound like they have been recorded by a man with a paper bag over his head, singing from the bottom of a deep, deep well half a mile from the nearest microphone. What greater recommendation can there be?                                                        





12. The Blue Nile-A Walk Across the Rooftops



I was loaned a copy of “A Walk Across The Rooftops” not long after it was released one of my friends who said, “If you like Prefab Sprout, you’ll love this.”

 It was all new but I was ready to give it a go. Back home, with no-one else in the house, I looked at the sleeve of the album for clues. Not much to go on really. A small simple photograph of the band on the front-framed in white-most of the sleeves was white with just the name of the band and the album in a plain thin font. The back of the sleeve just listed the seven tracks. There was no printed inner sleeve; it was just one of the plain paper ones. The record seemed to have been pressed on good vinyl-it felt heavy. The label itself didn’t give much away either -it was a faded blue/green colour with a Linn logo and a list of the tracks. I’d made a cup of tea and I put the record on the turntable, settled down and was prepared to hear a sub-Prefab Sprout copy. (Not that I didn’t believe my mate but I had been led astray by some choices in the past; Danny Wilson for example.) However, in this instance I can still, to this day, remember crystal-clearly what it was like hearing Blue Nile for the first time. The title track builds up so slowly and from being so quiet to something of complete and utter revelation.

And that’s how I still feel about The Blue Nile. Whenever I listen to them it’s like proper grown-up music. Not AOR, not Dad-rock in any way, shape or form. It’s not pop music, it’s not rock music. There are no histrionics, no flash. It’s just honest, truthful, serious music. It’s not grown-up in the way that sometimes classical music is perceived. It’s different to that and beyond it. Its music that whenever I hear it I think to myself, “This is the way music should be.”
   








14. Mbuti Pygmies of The Iruti Rainforest- Mbuti Pygmies of The Iruti Rainforest

This is possibly one of the most obscure albums I have. It’s from a pair of albums recorded in the early 1950s and is a collection of field-recordings from the Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire at the time these recordings were made). I didn’t have the original 1950 albums-I got it sometime off the net when it had been issued as a CD just because it sounded different.
 
It certainly does sound different though. Most of the tracks are just vocals and repetitive chants and singing. The titles of the tracks are just descriptions of what is happening;  Elephant Hunt Song”, First Monimo Song Sung Only On Occasions Of Great Importance”, “Honey Gathering Song” and so on. The first track on the album is entitled “In the Rainforest Approaching a Forest Camp”, and is credited to “Birds, Crickets and Young Mbuti Pygmy Boys in the Ituri Rainforest.” It sounds exactly how it is described. You hear the rustling of leaves and the gradually increasing sound of birds and insects slowly overwhelmed by chanting voices. It’s over half a century old but just close your eyes and listen to it. It sounds as if you are right in the middle of some green canopied forest with barely any light; yet it’s from a strange continent and fifty years ago. The rest of the tracks are hypnotic in the extreme; it is difficult to estimate how long each of them lasts. They could be two, three or ten minutes long.(I’ve just looked at the track times-the longest is 5 minutes, the shortest is 59 seconds and most of them clock in at about 2 minutes or so.) This is not a criticism but rather the reverse. The sheer repetitiveness and rhythmic nature of each track makes time a slight irrelevance. There are a few tracks where basic instruments are used-sticks to beat out a tune, simple stringed and strange instruments and a flute song (called “Flute Song”). According to the liner notes, these instruments were either “borrowed or stolen.” It makes me wonder how old these songs and chants were-had they remained unchanged for tens of thousands of years? Has it all gone now? Is it all now listening to rap on beatboxes?

I do have to ask myself, “Do I only like this music because it is strange and exotic or because I actually appreciate it?” As with any music that is “different”, I think that this is an impossible question to answer truthfully. Well, if not truthfully but realistically. I don’t think that you can really disentangle what you feel about this sort of music from any preconceptions you may have, or how you respond to anything that has been labelled “world”, or “ethnic”, or whatever. (By the way I detest the term “world” music; surely everything we listen to is world music?). All I know is that I do enjoy listening to this- I wouldn’t have played it more than once if I didn’t and listened to it on long car journeys when driving alone. It makes a change from guitars and drums. (It is good however, to pop the CD out and say to my 21 year-old son, “Enough of Coldplay, let’s rock out with some Mbuti Pygmy music.”)   






15. Kate Bush-The Hounds of Love



In my stratosphere of appreciation there are only a few who tick all boxes. There are some artists who have released great albums/singles over the years and some who can be valued because they pursue interesting directions and push at boundaries but sometimes flop and can’t keep the quality going. There are those who are interesting in themselves but part of that that makes them interesting is that they are inherently flawed. All of these are worthwhile and good and have produced music that I have loved over the years. There aren’t many artists who have consistently released great music and continually do challenging work. Off the top of my head and without being a bit listist-Bob Dylan, The Fall, Flaming Lips. There’s Bruce Springsteen and Blind Willie McTell. And Kate Bush.
  
Where to start with Kate Bush? I know exactly the moment when the penny dropped for me. It wasn’t upon the release of “Wuthering Heights” or any of her first few albums. They kind of passed me by. I thought that they were ok-ish but only really heard the singles and even then only on TOTP. There was a lot of nonsense about Kate Bush being only for Dads and her astounding beauty etc. I honestly can say that this definitely went over my head at the time and even now I see it a total red herring.  Between “Wuthering Heights” and “the moment”, I was more preoccupied with post-punk stuff and, in retrospect, had fairly limited horizons. It would be stuff that John Peel would play by and large and tend only to be on indie labels. Major label and commercial music was out.

Anyway, it was a Saturday afternoon in September 1985 and I was alone in the shared house I was renting. I know it was a Saturday afternoon as I was listening to a Radio 1 magazine-type show, hosted by Richard Skinner. I was cleaning the stairs when he introduced an item about Kate Bush’s new forthcoming album, “The Hounds of Love.” I would have normally let this waft over me or turned to Radio 4. Because I was busy and had my hands full; the radio was in another room, I simply couldn’t be bothered. The item was a fairly lengthy interview with Kate Bush and with clips of the album. I listened to it with increasing wonder-this sounded brilliant -in all senses of the word. The sound itself was so clear and sharp, quite unlike the Rough Trade stuff that was my then current stock-in-trade.

The fact that it was a semi-concept album should have put me off but it was intriguing in itself-possibly a sign that I was getting a bit bored with the same old stuff. I shouldn’t have liked this hippy-ish idea but found myself doing less and less of the cleaning and listening more and more intently to the interview. By the time the item had finished I was convinced and converted. I went into town first thing on the Monday morning and bought the album. No prevarication-straight to HMV at 9.00 a.m. It is still up there as one of my all time favourite records-at least in the top ten and probably the top three. (Looking at the internet for the release date of “Hounds of Love”, I see it was September 16th 1985. Presuming that the item ran on the Saturday before then that must have been the 14th of September. I do remember it was a warm, sunny afternoon and recall sitting on the top of the stairs, sunlight streaming across the landing, with a cup of tea by my side and the duster discarded.)
 
Since then, over the past twenty-odd years or so, I’ve got hold of all her studio albums, really early demos and a couple of live shows. Without fault they are on their own, head and shoulders above most other music, fascinating, brilliant and well, just different.

Possibly stating that they are head and shoulders above everything else is a bit much. Maybe that are on a whole different plane from most other music would be more apt.
A bit like Kate Bush herself-a whole different plane(t).   



Part 4-the final part!-and what a way to finish is on the way....

No comments:

Post a Comment